Critical technologies are those that are essential for the functioning of a society or economy, or for national security. Examples of critical technologies include cybersecurity systems, critical infrastructure, and advanced manufacturing technologies. These technologies should be protected because they are vital for the well-being and security of a society, and because their loss or compromise could have significant negative consequences. Protecting critical technologies typically involves a combination of legal and regulatory measures, as well as investment in research and development to ensure that these technologies remain secure and effective.
Director of Research Intelligence
Parallax Advanced Research – Advancing the Science of Intelligent Teaming™
There are several recommendations for protecting critical technologies, including:
- Developing and implementing strong legal and regulatory frameworks to ensure the security and integrity of critical technologies. This may involve establishing clear guidelines and standards for the design, production, and use of these technologies, as well as mechanisms for enforcing these rules.
- Investing in research and development to advance the state of the art in critical technologies, and to ensure that they remain secure and effective. This may involve supporting the work of academic and industrial researchers, as well as providing funding for the development of new technologies.
- Strengthening international collaboration and information sharing on critical technologies. This may involve working with other countries and international organizations to share best practices and expertise, as well as to coordinate efforts to protect these technologies.
- Enhancing the cybersecurity of critical technologies, including through the use of encryption, authentication, and other security measures. This may involve implementing regular security audits and updates, as well as training employees on how to handle and protect sensitive data and systems.
- Supporting education and training programs to ensure that there is a sufficient supply of skilled workers with expertise in critical technologies. This may involve providing funding for education and training programs in these areas, as well as working with educational institutions to develop curricula and coursework that align with the needs of the workforce.
China's pursuit of critical technologies is a significant concern for many countries around the world. China has been investing heavily in the development of a wide range of critical technologies, including advanced manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and biotechnology. This has raised concerns among some countries that China could use these technologies to gain a strategic advantage over other nations, or to undermine their national security. To address these concerns, many countries have implemented measures to protect critical technologies from Chinese acquisition or investment. This may involve strengthening legal and regulatory frameworks, or implementing policies that restrict foreign investment in certain sectors. Some countries have also sought to enhance their own domestic research and development efforts, in order to maintain their own technological advantage.
China has been investing heavily in technology and has been making efforts to become a leader in a number of technology fields. Some of the ways that China is trying to gain a technological advantage include investing in research and development, providing support for technology companies, and promoting the development of new technologies. Additionally, China has been working to attract top talent from around the world to help drive its technological progress. This can involve recruiting individuals with access to sensitive information, such as researchers and academics, to provide information to China. It can also involve using other tactics, such as hacking and cyber espionage, to obtain sensitive information.
China has used academic espionage to illegally collect sensitive information or intellectual property from academic institutions or researchers. Academic espionage can take various forms, including theft of physical documents, cyber attacks, or attempts to influence or persuade researchers to divulge information. In recent years, there have been several cases of academic espionage involving individuals or organizations associated with China. In some cases, Chinese researchers or students working in the United States have been accused of stealing sensitive information or intellectual property from their host institutions. In other cases, Chinese hackers have targeted academic institutions in the U.S. in order to steal sensitive information or intellectual property. These cases have raised concerns about the potential threat of academic espionage to the U.S. research enterprise, and have led to increased scrutiny of Chinese researchers and students working in the United States. However, it is important to note that not all Chinese researchers or students are involved.